With the new year just ahead, you’re probably thinking about your upcoming New Year’s resolutions. We definitely are. Do you know what your skincare goals are for 2021?
We all dream of having clear and blemish-free skin, but if you didn’t win the genetic lottery, sometimes that dream can feel unattainable.
Don’t you worry. With these skincare goals and our suggestions for making new habits stick, you’ll be ready to glow into the new year with the right skincare routine and products.
How to Set Achievable Skincare Goals
Everyone sets resolutions for the new year, but they often fail to inspire the real and sustainable change we are hoping for. We’re talking skincare goals here, but these tips can help you choose and stick to your New Year’s resolutions in all aspects of life.
Start With Baby Steps
The best way to create new habits is by starting with small, easily achievable steps. Setting huge lofty goals without a plan for how to get there leads many people to struggle with or fail in their New Year’s resolutions.
If your ultimate goal is getting up earlier (so you have some extra time for your skincare routine, right?), break it up into achievable pieces. Start by getting up just 15 minutes earlier for a couple of weeks. Then half an hour. Keep getting up earlier until you’ve hit your target goal.
Instead of short bursts of progressive, taking it slow and steady will create sustainable and lasting change.
Focus on Making Positive Changes
Breaking habits is so much harder than forming new ones. Quitting eating junk food is more daunting than slowly adding healthy meals into your week. The end result is the same, but your mindset is totally different.
If you focus on adding more positive behaviors to your life, you’ll find that over time those behaviors replace the negative behaviors that were holding you back.
Keep Track of Your Progress and Celebrate Success
Tracking your progress can be super rewarding in itself, but setting milestones to celebrate by treating yourself will dramatically increase your chances of success.
There are lots of ways you can track your progress. There are apps for your phone or habit-tracking planners. Write down your goals and keep them someplace where you can see them often so they’re always at the forefront of your mind.
Whenever you hit a milestone, reward yourself! Woke up at the right time every day for a week? Treat yourself to a spa night at home. Drank a full eight cups of water today? Celebrate with your favorite healthy dessert!
Best Skincare Goals for 2021
Now that you understand how and why to set skincare goals for a new year, let’s dive into some of the best goals you should set to improve your skin.
Shrink Your Pores
The right skincare routine will help you enjoy flawless skin with tiny, healthy pores. Try developing a routine that includes the products below to keep your youthful complexion glowing.
- Cleanser: If you’re not cleansing regularly, your pores can get clogged up from excess oils, dead skin cells, and other impurities, making them look larger than usual. If you don’t clean up the clogs, they can mix with bacteria, leading to breakouts. With regular cleansing, you can keep any pore-clogging impurities off your skin’s surface and keep your pores looking smaller.
- Toner: Using a gentle toner after you’ve finished cleansing will catch any bits of leftover makeup, dirt, or grime that might not have been removed by the cleanser. Keeping your skin clean will keep your pores free of matter that can make them look larger.
- Oil-Free Moisturizer: If you struggle with oily skin, your chances of having oversized pores are higher. Although it may feel counterintuitive, oily skin still needs to be moisturized to keep it healthy. Try choosing an oil-free moisturizer, like our HD Ultra Sheer Oil-Free Moisturizer, to keep your skin fresh and pores small, without adding any extra oily to your skin.
- Retinol: As we get older, our skin gets less effective at producing collagen and elastin, both of which are critical components of youthful-looking skin. This can cause our pores to appear larger. Products formulated with retinol, like our HD Vibrant Retinol Advanced anti-aging serum, can help your skin stay young.
Clear Out and Replace Old Skincare Products
How long have your skincare products been sitting in your bathroom cabinet? Have you ever gone through and removed old products?
All of your cosmetics, toiletries, and skincare products should contain a period-after-opening symbol that tells you how long the product can be used once you’ve cracked the seal. Once it’s past that date, it’s better to dispose of it and get something new.
Let’s enter the new year with a clean cosmetics shelf! Take some time to look through your skincare products and makeup. You can keep unused or sealed cosmetics, but get rid of anything that’s past its PAO date.
Checking this simple skincare goal off of your list of resolutions will let you start the year with a sense of accomplishment.
When you’re clearing out your cupboard, try to make sure and recycle as much as possible in order to reduce waste. Here’s how:
- Check for the recycling symbol to make sure the packaging is recyclable
- Wash the containers and double-check that they are free of products before recycling
- Reuse the packages! Some products come in cute or handy containers (like body butter pots), which can be repurposed for storing something new
Build the Habit of Exfoliating
Exfoliation happens naturally throughout the day as your body sheds dead skin cells and replaces them with a newer and healthier layer of cells. As we age, our body becomes less effective at this process, which can lead to a buildup of dead skin cells that aren’t naturally removed from the skin.
Exfoliating products help the natural process along by helping to get rid of those dead cells, revealing the brighter and more youthful complexion waiting underneath.
You can get all kinds of different exfoliating products to help you achieve your skincare goals, but we recommend sticking with natural products that will gently exfoliate your skin without using harsh chemicals that can cause irritation.
Get Radiant and Youthful Skin
As we get older it gets harder for our skin to retain radiance, but that doesn’t mean we can’t achieve it with the right anti-aging products. Add these three products into your skincare routine to keep your skin looking younger than ever:
- Start your routine with an anti-aging cleanser to moisturize your skin and remove any lingering traces of makeup
- Use a chemical exfoliator to dissolve the dead cells sitting on top of your skin and reveal the bright and even skin underneath
- Finish with an anti-aging moisturizer to nurture your skin
With 2021 just about to start, set yourself some achievable skincare goals as New Year’s resolutions. If you start now, you’ll find that by the time the next year rolls around, your skin will be healthier and clearer than ever.
What are your skincare goals for 2021?